Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Recruitment Tips from a Rho Gamma


It's finally here! 
With my university's recruitment officially starting today, I've had nothing but sorority on my mind. Being a greek is a topic I have not really touched on too much on here, but it is definitely a huge part of my life. I love reading about other women talking about their sorority experience and I am so excited to share a little bit more of mine because it was a decision that has definitely changed my life. 

I am temporarily disaffiliated from my sorority right now because I am currently a Rho Gamma for PC recruitment! I'm so excited to experience this side of recruitment. And by being on this side I have learned a lot about the recruitment process that I wish I knew when deciding to join recruitment. 
Here are some tips I've learn since becoming a Rho Gamma if you are interested in joining recruitment. 

1. Attend the pre-recruitment events/ informationals
These are a great way to see what you will be getting yourself into and to get a chance to meet some of the sisters and members of the Recruitment Team. Don't skip out if you don't have a buddy to attend with and do not want to go alone. The Recruitment Team is happy that you are there and will try their best to make sure every girl is welcomed and comfortable. 

2. Don't be afraid to ask questions
I know when I was a PNM (Potential New Member) I was afraid that I was asking too many questions. Don't be! The more questions you ask the more interested you seem and even if you are not interested in a specific sorority at all, showing interest is also a sign of respect.   

3. Keep it classy 
This is probably a no-brainer to some, but... this is sorority recruitment, not a night out at the club. There are tons of blog posts and pins on Pinterest that show great examples of what to wear for all different types of recruitment rounds. You can also look to your Rho Gamma/Rho Chi for advice or a second opinion on your outfit! 

4. Don't listen to the stereotypes
Some of the main questions I have been asked while recruiting this year are in regards to sorority stereotypes: "Are they like the movies?" "Do you party a lot?" Etc., Etc. Giving into the stereotypes of sororities in general, as well as the stereotypes of the sororities on your campus, can really keep you from having an open mind throughout the process. Which leads me to...

5. Open mind. Open mind. Open mind. 
You will probably hear this a lot throughout the process, but that is because it is just that important. Recruitment is a time where a lot of information is thrown at you which sounds overwhelming at first, but the excitement of it all really makes it worth it. Keeping an open mind will 1) make for a better and more positive experience and 2) help you to find your home. You'd be surprised with the things you can see when you keep an open mind ;) 

6. Prepare accordingly. 
In an ideal world we would all like to plan ahead so that homework and studying would be taken care of before recruitment so during the week you can concentrate on rushing. Key word: ideal. But it is doable and very beneficial to plan ahead and take care of as much as possible so you can go to class, attend recruitment, and get to sleep a decent amount of hours each night. 

7. Stay healthy!
I got terribly sick when I was a PNM and I was not the only one. Recruitment can be a time of high stress which lowers your immune system naturally. Add in long hours, less sleep, and being around and talking to mass amounts of girls and something is bound to go around. I highly recommend trying to boost up your immune system, meaning take your vitamins, drink your water, and take a little Airborne during the week. Being healthy will make this a much more enjoyable experience for you and your body will also thank you for it!

8. Do your research 
It is good to enter recruitment with a little background knowledge of each sorority. Colors, mascot, motto, philanthropies, events they hold annually on campus. They will be presenting all of this information to you anyway, but having an idea helps to prevent you from getting too overwhelmed. You can find out which PC sororities are on your campus and look up their national website or most chapters tend to have their own website/Facebook, where you can see information and pictures from that specific chapter. 

9. Don't forget your smile!
This is suppose to be an exciting and happy time so don't forget to show it! Your smile makes you unique and beautiful so why not flaunt it? Try not to let the nerves get the best of you and even if they do I guarantee putting on a smile will help! 

10.  Utilize your Rho Gamma (or Rho Chi)
Something I am learning better now. Your recruitment guide has signed up and gone through the disaffiliation processes all to help you. After months of preparation they are nothing but ecstatic to help you succeed in the process. They are there for you to confide in, give you unbiased advice, and be your go-to for anything you will need so do not hesitate to go to them. :) 

I hope this helps! 
Here's to a successful and unforgettable recruitment! 

Linking up for :

The Hump Day Blog Hop

1 comment:

  1. I'm currently in the process of rushing, my school does it very differently but I'm going to use these tips I finish going through the process!

    ReplyDelete