Wednesday, June 18, 2014

June Birchbox vs. Ipsy Showdown


Happy Wednesday all! I hope your week is going good! I recently received both my June Birchbox and Ipsy bag (how I managed to get both packages to come on the same day every month? No idea, but I love it!). I have been a subscriber to both of these subscription services for over a year now and I have yet to choose a favorite! I love the variety of products I receive from both services and I love comparing the two every month, so I figured I'd start a month to month comparison between the two here on my blog. So here goes our little showdown for the month of June!
Ipsy's "Pretty in Paradise"


This month's Ipsy bag's theme is "Pretty in Paradise", a great theme to transition into the summer! The bag has already made it's way into my summer tote as it's super cute (Well, of course, it's designed by Rebecca Minkoff! Extra points, Ipsy!) and perfect to add a little "summer" to your style.

The Products


Marc Anthony "Dream Waves" Beach Spray: I'm really excited to try this. I'm totally into the whole "no heat hair" and sea salt sprays for the summer so this is right up my alley right now.

Realtree for Her Fragrance: I'm not a fan of receiving fragrance samples (from either of the two services) since I feel like I can get those for free, but never the less this fragrance smells very sophisticated yet sweet. And I also appreciate the bottle and how it is not your typical "mini glass tube" fragrance samples usually come in.

NYX Buttergloss in Creme Brulee: I LOVE the butterglosses. I mean who doesn't? I'm glad I got a shade that I do not have and even though it is on the nude side, which I don't normally go for, I actually really like it!

Be A Bombshell "Lash Out" Mascara: Not a fan. The packaging is very cheap feeling. The wand is just an ordinary shape, but it's the smell of the formula that really turned me away. It's a really strong odor that actually made my eyes water when I tried to apply it the first time.

OFRA Universal Eyebrow Pencil: Although I am really excited to use this because I am super into doing my brows right now, I can't help but feel a little bored with this since this is probably my 4th eyebrow pencil from Ipsy.

Birchbox's "Away We Go" 


This month's Birchbox theme was "Away We Go", inspired by JetBlue. In honor of this partnership they included a "Where to Travel Next" mini quiz card (I got San Francisco because I just know you were dying to know). I love when Birch Box throws in cute, little extras like that! 

The Products


Laqa & Co. Lip Lube Pencil in "Bees Knees": This mini pencil is so cute! I love receiving lip products because I firmly believe that you can never have too many lip products. I was a little intimidated by the bright coral at first, but it applies very sheer, as the description says, so on the lips it is actually a beautiful light peachy-coral, which I love!

Egyptian Magic All-Purpose Skin Cream: This product really intrigues me. I can't wait to start using it on my cuticles, elbow, and heels. The description also says that you can use it on bruises, burns, and wrinkles. Yay for multi-purpose things!

Vasanti BrightenUp! Face Rejuvenator: You can never have enough face wash/ exfoliators and I am always attracted to products that claim to "brighten" your skin since I have a lot of acne scaring. Can't wait to try!

Coastal Scents Revealed 2 Palette Set: LOVE this mini quad. I used it to get ready this morning and I fell in love with all of the colors. There are two satin shadows, a glitter shadow, and a matte shadow. Great to bring on it's own for an on-the-go look.

Harvey Prince "Hello" Fragrance Sample: Like I mentioned before, I don't really like to receive typical fragrance sample in either services so I wasn't so excited when finding this sample. But I fell in love with packaging and the scent is amazingly fresh!

The Verdict:
For the month of June I'm going to have to go with....Birchbox! It was a nice variety of products, each of which I found unique and exciting. I did love Ipsy's bag as well, especially the bag itself, but the mascara is what turned me away in the end. 

Are you subscribed to a monthly subscription service? If so, I'd love to know your thoughts! 


No comments:

Post a Comment